Sunday, January 14, 2024

Genericization of trademarks

...is a real thing and probably has happened more often than you might think. For example, do you say facial tissue or Kleenex? gelatin or Jell-o? insulated vacuum-sealed beverage container or Thermos? transparent covering or Cellophane? pressure-sensitive cellulose tape or Scotch tape?

What about crayons?

Wait a minute. Crayons?

I imagine, though I have no proof, that 99 and 44/100ths per cent of people who use crayons and speak English call a crayon a crayon. Where I grew up in North Central Texas, nobody -- and I do mean nobody -- ever said 'crayon' or 'crayons'. No, friends, they engaged in their own unique genericization of trademarks and called them crayolas. Our teachers would say, "Children, get out your crayolas" (except our third-grade teacher, Mrs, Cora Spencer, who called us "Little People") or one child might say to another, "Would you hand me that magenta crayola, please" (we were brought up to be polite). Having moved to Texas from Rhode Island when I was six, I found it bizarre but didn't say anything.

Please don't tell me that you know thousands of people who say 'crayola' instead of 'crayon'.

This all popped into my mind a couple of days ago when I read an annoucement from the Crayola Company that the third annual Crayola Creativity Week will occur from January 22nd until January 28th, 2024. One way of observing it, they suggested, was to see how many words could be made from the two-word phrase 'Creativity Week'. I suppose they were talking to children, but they didn't have to tell me twice.

Here are the words I found, 154 in all:

a at are art arty ate acre ace arc ark act activity active aver avert create cart cat crate creak creek crave crew craw caw car cave caver creaky cavity catty cake civet care carve crave cite cay eve every eye ewe eke ever evict ewer ere ice icy icky ire it I kit kite kew key kitty rack race racy rice ray rave raw rate ret reek rake rite react reactive review tart take tack tick trace track trick tricky trice twice try tray teak tea tear teary teat tit tire ticker trait treat tyke tar twit tat trek tacky trite tact tract ticker tweet tweeter teeter very vice vet view viewer veer vitiate vat vary week we wet wetter were wait wreck ware wear wart wick wit witty wire wiry wave waver wavy wacky weary wry wreak wicker wive waiter wary way watt wake weave weaver ye year yew yea yet yaw

Perhaps you can find even more.

Here is your trivia factoid of the day: Although the word 'crayola' was coined in 1903, since 1984 Crayola has been a wholly ownd subsidiary of Hallmark Cards.

8 comments:

  1. I did this activity with my students every couple of weeks. they worked in pairs and it was competitive to see who got the most words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been a favorite time-passer of mine for as long as I can remember. I'm sure a teacher must have started it. Thank you for commenting, Red.

      Delete
  2. I never say 'hoovering' - it irritates me. That's my small rebellion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good one! 'Hoovering' is probably more common in the UK than in the US, but I have heard it on occasion. Thank you, Janice.

      Delete
  3. We called them colors. We had coloring books that were filled in with colors. I love the differences in different parts of the country. We are a colorful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Coloring books, yes! We colored in coloring books with, what else?, crayolas! Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  4. The Crayola thing is a funny little regional quirk. I like regional quirks.
    I vacuum with a vacuum cleaner, blow my nose on a tissue, eat jelly (I have no idea if that's a trademark)
    I also call every cooler an "Esky" and always use a "Band Aid" on a cut

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Texas itself qualifies as a funny little regional quirk. Jell-O (for gelatin) is a brand name, but jelly is a generic for any fruit spread hereabouts. Jam has seeds; jelly doesn't. I don't know "Esky" but if it's a cooler it must mean Eskimo. Let me know if it's something else. Band-Aids seem to be Band-Aids even if they are Curad. Thank you, for playing along, kylie!

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...