Saturday, January 6, 2024

The wheels on the bus go round and round

...or maybe they go 'round and 'round. I suppose it depends on how pedantic you want to be. Back in Poughkeepsie, New York, where I worked for IBM in the 1960s, a fellow named Douglas B. who was on temporary assignment with us from IBM High Wycombe in the UK always (well, not always but whenever the occasion presented itself) wrote 'bus and never simply bus because, he said, the word was a contraction of the word omnibus.

Here are some answers no contestant on Jeopardy! knew this week but I knew them:

Who is Molly Pitcher?
What is Van Cleef & Arpels?
What is Mumbai?

Today is called Epiphany or Three Kings Day or Feast of the Three Kings depending on where you live and what church you happen ti attend. If you don't happen to attend any church, today is called January 6th. Some people also call it Twelfth Night but other people call January 5th Twelfth Night. A day without learning something new is a day withour sunshine, in my opinion.

This week I learned that the Methodist Church in Great Britain is recommending that all British Methodists, clergy and laity alike, stop using the words 'husband' and 'wife' because those words can be 'hurtful' and 'offensive'. My first thought was "To whom?" and my next thought was "The snowflakes are moving again". If that makes me something-or-other-phobic I will wear the badge proudly.

Well, folks, the wheels on the bus or 'bus have gone round and round or 'round and 'round quite enough for one post.

T.T.F.N.

6 comments:

  1. I am so tired of people who are offended by everything. Maybe we should all become mute and hope they don't find a way to monitor our thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The very thing the 'woke' or 'cancel culture' crowd wantsis for us to be mute. It takes courage to speak out against today's craziness and topsy-turvy world. I think we must not be silent.
      Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know that the snowflakes had stopped falling. I just wish they would thaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A thaw would be perfect since all of the snow would melt away. Thank you, Graham.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...