Monday, January 8, 2024

Happy birthday, Elvis

You would have turned 89 today had you not left us when you were 42.

it It is hard to picture Elvis Presley or James Dean as old men.

They say only the good die young. Those two were very good at what they did, but that is not the same thing, not the same thing at all.

Mama was 47.

I will be 83 in a couple of months.

Your assignment for today is to read two short poems, "Little Boy Blue" by Eugene Field and "When I Was One-And-Twenty" by A.E.Housman. Only after completing your assignment may you say something snarky in the comments section.

9 comments:

  1. I'm not given to being snarky, nor hunting snarks for that matter. The Little Boy Blue nursery rhyme is easier to remember. The Houseman poem contains greater wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not referring to the "come blow your horn' nursery rhyme, Graham, but an emotional poem by Eugene Field that tugs at the heartstrings.

      Delete
    2. I understood and know them both - indeed all three. I was simply making the point that the 'come blow your horn' one was easier to remember.

      Delete
  2. Both are poems I learned from my mother. Both touch the heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember weeping at the first and smiling at the second. Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  3. This isn't snarky so I can say it. It blew my mind when you said Elvis would be 89.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 47 was super young for your mom. I imagine she had a number of dreams unrealised and I imagine you wished she saw lots of things she didn't

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are of course right, kylie. She didn't see me graduate from school, go to university, join he military, attend my wedding,, meet her grandchildren, etc., etc.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...