Saturday, January 20, 2024

I say Carmina, you say Burana, let’s Carl the whole thing Orff

That isn't original with me. I should be so clever. No, I saw a meme on Facebook that made me smile and I decided to pass it along to you.

Someone has said there are two kinds of people in the world, those who say there are two kinds of people in the world and those who don't.

I say there are three kinds of people in the world, those who make tbings happen, those who watch things happen, and those who wonder what happened

That's not original with me, either. It probably has been years since I had an original thought in my head. As somebody else (I don't know who) has said, creativity is the art of concealing your sources.

I thought that was called plagiarism.

Thursday night's lack of answers on Jeopardy! included who is Beethoven?, what is the Ionian Sea, and who is Pol Pot? The clue (British, clew) for the Final Jeopardy Round mentioned Vietnam and all three contestants wrote down Ho Chi Minh.

I'd better stop while I'm ahead.

8 comments:

  1. "British, clew" ??
    Surely who WAS Pol Pot. Given that he died in the last century. The IS doesn't have an answer.
    I can imagine an American not knowing the Ionian Sea. I can't be sure which side of Greece it is but an educated guess would be the East because the Aegean is between Greece and Turkey.
    As for not knowing who Beethoven WAS I despair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Theprogram's only rule is that the answer be phrased in the form of a question. They don't care about verb tenses. Also, the clue for Beethoven was not obvious. It mentioned something about 1817, a funeral march, and Symphony No. 7 (not 3 or 5 or 9). Thanks for commenting, Graham..

      Delete
    2. I'm obviously misunderstanding. I assumed that the question was "Who is Beethoven?" Beethoven's Funeral March from his Eroica Symphony is hardly one of the best known and his Eroica is the 3rd Symphony. I am now seriously confused about the format of the programme which obviously figures very highly in your life.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. If curb can be kerb, why not clew or even klew? Maybe it's an archaic form. I don't claim to know everything. Thanks for commenting, Janice.

      Delete
  3. You have become obsessed with outdoing Jeopardy contestants. I understand completely. Remember I am the one who sits and shouts at the TV correcting their grammar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty hooked on Jeopardy. I also correct grammar on TV, but not in person. That would be rude. Thank you for commenting, Emma.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...