Tuesday, January 23, 2024

Patchwork quilt

This past Sunday morning the low temperature at our house was 8°F (-13°C), the very opposite of toasty.

Here is proof, if you need any, that time really does fly: Donny Osmond is 66, Marie Osmond is 64, Madonna Louise Ciccone (the Material Girl) is 65. Wayne Newton and Barbra Streisand are both 81. Elvis Presley, as I mentioned the other day, would have just turned 89.

Years ago in Florida I worked with a guy named Otto Hlava. I told him one day that his name sounded like what comes out of a Hvolcano. He was not amused.

Some people are raised by mothers who believe "Feed a cold, starve a fever" and other people are raised by mothers who believe "Starve a cold, feed a fever". By which type of mother were you raised? Do you still follow the method your mother used? If not, why not?

Transitions are important in writing because they help achieve continuity in a piece by relating what came before to what follows. This post has no transitions whatsoever. It's just -- wait for it, wait for it -- a patchwork quilt.

8 comments:

  1. You're just pinging off the wall today. Always surprising to hear how old some of the old performers are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After wall pinging comes chandelier swinging, I guess. Thank you, Red.

      Delete
  2. "Feed a cold, starve a fever" is what my mother said. It still comes to mind every time somebody is sick but I don't follow it. Eat if you're hungry, don't if you're not is what I would say.
    I thought you might show us a glorious hand made quilt but then I thought "no, that would be too obvious"
    I wish you would have worked in "segue"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what my mother said too. I remember being surprised to learn that some people thought otherwise. Thank you, kylie.

      Delete
  3. My mother just served food at meals. Snacks in between were our responsibility. If we were sick it was a lot of soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chicken noodle soup works every time. Thank you, Emma.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Dear Rhymsie. I'm not dead, yet. In fact, I'm doing pretty well for someone who is older than Elvis! I discovered (accidently) only this week that I could access my old blog (and that of others) on my church's Apple computer (which instrument I'm now using), something I've not been able to do at all on my PC. I may be looking at a MAC for my next investment. I'm absolutely delighted to see you're still here. I hope you are well. Warmest regards, Pat in Arkansa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pleasant surprise to hear from you after all this time, Pat! I'm gld you are still going strong. I looked and it has been almost eight years since you posted on your blog. Glad to have you back in Blogland. Mrs. RWP and I (the lovely Ellie) and I are both well and now have a great-grandson and two more on the way.

      When I say I am well, I should probably add that I was diagnosed with macular degeneration in both eyes in 2017 and have been receiving injections in both eyes every couple of months. I hope to be blogging for a long time yet. It's so good to re-establish contact with you. Thank you, Pat.

      Delete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...