Monday, January 1, 2024

Once again, off we go into the wild blue yonder

Ho hum, another day, another 1.6 million miles of space hurtled through.

Is that how you feel? I definitely don't.

It is New Year's Day 2024. In my part of the world (the southern U.S.) many people do strange things on New Year's Day and wouldn't dream of not doing them. They think you (I) are (am) strange when you (I) don't do the things they do. Specifically, I'm referring to eating black-eyed peas to bring good luck in the new year, eating collard greens to bring financial prosperity in the new year (collards and money are both green), not washing clothes (because whatever you do on New Year's Day you will continue to do all year long), not sweeping your floors (because all the good luck will be swept away), and shooting off fireworks, lots and lots of fireworks.

It occurs to me, and ought to be self-evident, that each person's experience is unique. Even identical twins raised together have different experiences (one has an older sibling and one has a younger sibling).

Consider two people, one standing at the North Pole or the South Pole (I don't care which) and one standing at the equator. In the course of one 24-hour period, each will have made a revolution, but the one at the pole would have essentially piroutted in place and the one at the equator would have travelled 25,000 miles. Another difference is that the one at the equator would have passed from day to night and back to day again, while the one at the pole might have experienced either 24 hours of daylight or 24 hours of darkness.

So the next time you are tempted to say to someone, "I know just how you feel," remember this post and bite your tongue.

Speaking of this post, it feels very familiar. If I have posted stuff like this before, please send up a flare or something.

What do people do on New Year's Day in your part of the world?

9 comments:

  1. This is my first visit to Blogland for a while. Hopefully I shall not be absent again for a while. It was a very good post to which to return with the very sound advice to bite one's tongue next time one is tempted to say "I know how you feel." Because one rarely does.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, one knew that one hadn't posted anything since early December and hoped that nothing was wrong. Furthermore, one is honoured (note spelling) to be among one'sr first visits upon one's return to Blogland.

      Delete
  2. I'm lucky if I know how I feel. Knowing how you feel is too much for my little brain to comprehend. I don't know about others around here although I do know that many people used last night to get drunk. As for me I stay home to lessen the chance of being mowed down by a drunk driver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you, Emma (not literally). Mrs. RWP and I stay home on New Year's Eve for the same reason.

      Delete
  3. Being in the Deep South, the people all around me do (or don't do) all the things you mentioned. I suppose; I don't really pay all that much attention. I am a nonconformist and as such I get up on New Year's Day, drink coffee, get dressed, and do one of two things: nothing (my preferred activity); or prepare a meal for my family and one or more select guests. This year it was the latter. None of my food preparation included black-eyed peas or collards, however. I am neither superstitious nor interested in those particular vittles. We had Naughty Hammie Sammies, BBQ beans, funeral potatoes, deviled eggs, cheese ball with crackers, tortilla strips with salsa, candied pecans, and for dessert, deep dish brownie pie with Reddi-wip. Happy 2024, RWP! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to learn more about Naughty Hammie Sammies as they sound intriguing. Also, I have no idea what funeral potatoes are, but they sound good enough to die for (just kidding). I want to wangle my way onto your guest list. Thank you, Jenny.

      Delete
  4. Wishing you and Ellie a very Happy 2024, Bob. We have a tradition of first footing, where the first male that enters the house after midnight (usually having just popped out the back door) brings a piece of coal to symbolise that the household will have warmth in the new year, bread that they may always be well fed, salt that they may always have money for their needs, and water that they might stay well. Today, we had twelfth night cake and chalked a blessing on the door. They are rituals that help us to stop, pause and help us to ensure that our home will be a welcoming place for all who step over the threshold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of this tradition. It seems very meaningful if carried out with intention and not become just another superstition. Thank you, Elizabeth.

      Delete
  5. Australia doesn't have New Year traditions as such although there are a lot of fireworks on new years eve and a lot of people take the opportunity of a public holiday to go to the beach on new years day.
    Happy 2024 to you both, Bob and Ellie

    ReplyDelete

<b>Couples in show biz (part 2)</b>

Reader Emma Springfield in Iowa thought of two more couples in show biz: 60. Paul Hogan & Linda Kozlowski (his co-star in Crocodi...