Saturday, March 21, 2020

Earworms R Us, or Maxwellton Braes Are Bonnie Where Early Fa's The Dew

Yesterday I started thinking about song titles with girls' names in them, and I decided to jot them down. Before you could say "Jack Robinson" (not a girl's name), I had the following list of 50 songs. If you can't find something hummable in there, it's not my fault. And if one of the tunes gets stuck in your head, it's not my fault either. Well, yes, I suppose it is, now that you mention it. I'm sorry I didn't put the list in alphabetic order, but you can do that yourself to help pass the time during your long hours of self-quarantine.

1. Annie Laurie

2. Aura Lee

3. I Dream Of Jeannie (With The Light Brown Hair)

4. I’ll Take You Home Again, Kathleen

5. K-K-K-Katy

6. Mary's A Grand Old Name

7. Annie Had A Baby, Can't Work No More

8. Wait Till The Sun Shines, Nellie

9. I Was Seeing Nellie Home

10. Lily Marlene

11. If You Knew Susie Like I Know Susie

12. Ida (Sweeter Than Apple Cider)

13. Laura

14. Margie, I’m Always Thinking Of You, Margie

15. All Day, All Night, Mary Ann

16. Good Night, Irene

17. Bar-Bar-Bar, Bar-Barbara Ann

18. My Bonnie Lies Over The Ocean

19. Long Tall Sally

20. Once In Love With Amy

21. When Joanna Loved Me

22. Lulu’s Back In Town

23. Every Little Breeze Seems To Whisper Louise

24. Mandy

25. Roberta

26. Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town

27. Billie Jean

28. Daisy, Daisy (A Bicycle Built For Two)

29. Fanny

30. Tangerine

31. Sweet Betsy From Pike

32. Lucille

33. My Darling Clementine

34. Thoroughly Modern Millie

35. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

36. In My Sweet Little Alice-Blue Gown

37. Oh, Susanna!

38. Jolene

39. Waltzing Matilda

40. Sweet Adeline

41. Charmaine

42. Sweet Lorraine

43. Hello, Dolly

44. Sweet Georgia Brown

45. Frankie and Johnny

46. Michelle (Ma Belle)

47. Mona Lisa

48. Maybelline

49. Maria, I Just Met A Girl Named Maria

50. How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?

Oh, yes, and how could we possibly forget "Helen Had A Steamboat"? I'm sure there are others, but my brain is tired.

Of the peppier songs in that list, the one I like best is "Tangerine" by the Jimmy Dorsey Orchestra from 1942 with Bob Eberle and Helen O'Connell on the vocals (3:16).

For slow songs, my favorite has to be "When Joanna Loved Me" by Tony Bennett (3:08).

If those don't suit your fancy, get your own earworm.

In the comments, tell me some other song titles with girls' names because I'm sure there must be many others. But do not say "Nothing Could Be Finer Than To Be In Carolina In The Morning" because the Carolina in question is not a girl but a U.S. state named for King Charles I of England. And do not say "Georgia On My Mind" because that Georgia is not a girl either, but a U.S. state named for King George II. And the June in "June Is Bustin' Out All Over" is a month of the year.

11 comments:

  1. Impressive list. I haven't heard of some of them. Others had me singing. :)
    How about Annie's song by John Denver.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, I guess Annie's Song by John Denver qualifies technically because of how I phrased my post, but I should have been clearer. I meant songs with girls' names in the title that also appear in the lyrics as well. On that basis, I think Annie's Song does not make the cut.

      Delete
  2. That's quite a list. I tried to think of more but you covered the ones I came up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, read on. Alphie SOup below thought of a few more. I also thought of "Nita, Juanita" and "Ramona" after I finished the post.

      Delete
  3. Ruby Tuesday
    Cecilia
    Dinah

    That's it from me.
    Some on your list are totally unknown to me and others are wonderful old songs. Aura Lee, which was commandeered by Elvis to become a song whose name I've forgotten. Maybe, Love Me Tender, I could google it but I really need to go and sweep up some leaves.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alphie Soup, well done! I thought of a couple more also (see my reply to Bonnie above).

      Yes, the tune to "Aura Lee" was used for "Love Me Tender"....

      Delete
  4. I knew 13 or so off the top of my head. That was about all. I probably know more if they were actually sung. I'm useless at quiz's at the best of times. My brain just doesn't work that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, my brain is detail-oriented, causing me at times to minor in the majors and major in the minors, an to come up with long lists of unimportant things.

      Delete
  5. I once had a girlfriend called Carolina. She was from The Netherlands. She was not a state. I notice that there were no songs about girls called Ellie on your list. Perhaps you should write one. After all you are a romantic guy with proven musical ability.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yorkshire Pudding, I once had a reader named Carolina. She was from The Netherlands too. I dubbed her "Carolina from Nederland" after we had a discussion about when to say Holland and when to say The Netherlands. I'm thinking and hoping and praying that she is not the same Carolina from the Netherlands who was your girlfriend because this Carolina was married and raised horses. She stopped blogging a few years ago.

    I will think on your proposal to write a song about Ellie but don't hold your breath. However, I did write the poem below long ago:


    To Eleanor

    The moon, falling softly on the sea;
    The wind, moving gently through the grain;
    And you, turning quietly to me –
    You three bring joy, silent joy that stills my pain.

    The sea, which receives the moon’s caress;
    The grain, which receives the wind’s soft touch;
    And I, who receive your quietness –
    We three are blessed. No one else can know how much.

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...