Wednesday, March 4, 2020

This used to be a historic day

...but it isn't any more.

George Washington was inaugurated as the first president of the United States on April 30, 1789, but all other presidential inaugurations occurred on March 4 through the first inauguration of our 32nd president, Franklin D. Roosevelt on March 4, 1933. Soon afterwards, the 20th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution changed the date to January 20, on which date they (presidential inaugusrations) have occurred ever since.

March 4th is not any more important nowadays than, say, August 19th.

So much for historical minutiae.

On with the show.

I said the other day that I would try not to draw inspiration for future posts from the comments section of earlier posts, but yesterday's was just so darned inspirational I have disabused myself of that notion, at least temporarily. Besides, I consider it my solemn duty to keep you informed if you are the sort of reader who never bothers to comment or look at the comments of others. You know who you are.

Graham Edwards, who lives in Eagleton Township seven miles from the town of Stornoway on the Isle of Lewis in the Outer Hebrides, a remote area of Scotland, took me to task for advocating the making of a soup other than ab initio as he called it (Latin for "from scratch", loosely translated). I am chastened. I have been put in my place culinarily speaking by a higher order of being.

Bonnie from Missouri thought the soup sounded good and said she was all for a meal that is quick and easy (take that, Graham Edwards!) but then changed subjects and started talking about the Democratic primary. To be fair, I did mention Joe Biden in the post. Yesterday was Super Tuesday on which 14 states held primaries, and according to some it is now all over but the shouting. According to others, the fun is just beginning and will culminate in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in July at the brokered-or-not Democratic convention. Georgia's presidential primary is not until March 24th. For those of you in other countries, the purpose of a primary is to choose delegates to a political party's national convention based on which candidate they support.

Red in Alberta or Saskatchewan or wherever he is pointed out that I had included ideas for six other posts in the first six sentences of the post. It tires me out just thinking about how unthinkingly creative I am (Note to self: Remember that Mama always said, "Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back."). I told Red not to hold his breath as my posts are not planned but spring full-grown like Athena from the forehead of Zeus.

Alphie Soup took issue with me for calling it a 5-can soup but then saying in a postscript that there were six cans. Alphie Soup is a sharp-eyed reader and also a higher being on the order of Graham Edwards, but I'm not complaining. I need all the readers I can get.

Kathy in Virginia said my post made her laugh and wished my grandson a happy belated birthday although I think she meant a belated happy birthday.

Yorkshire Pudding, irascible as ever, left a recipe of his own, which I now share with you, my non-comment-reading friends:

BEANS ON TOAST
1. Open can of Heinz baked beans.
2. Heat the beans in a pan or microwave.
3. Toast bread.
4. Butter toast.
5. Put toast on plate.
6. Put baked beans on the toast.
7. Eat the beans on toast.

This is not so much a recipe as it is an elementary flowchart one would be asked to create on the first day of computer programming class.

Some of you will recall that at the end of the post in question, I stopped myself from bidding you a fondue and bid you a fond adieu instead.

This time I will do something completely different. I bid you all a...


and if you are wondering, I just bid you all a Fonda do.

A final question: Do you enjoy these summaries of reader comments or should I find a new hobby?

11 comments:

  1. I found it amusing but a flow chart for computer code would need thirty to three hundred lines of code, all with the brackets in the right order to find the can of beans. Then we start again with the opening malarkey.
    Coders are lazy, like all of us and copy and paste stuff that worked before. We have massive processors to hand so it doesn't matter. I like the idea of streamlining such stuff. But would like coders to work a bit harder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adrian, people have no idea. Every process is made up of individual steps that can be further broken down into sub-steps and sub-sub-steps and so forth until the simplest task like "getting ready to go to work" can become pages and pages of flowcharting steps and decisions. I'm speaking from memory here; I haven't programmed in decades. But we can all be thankful for macros and compilers and subroutine libraries! No need to re-invent the wheel.

      Delete
    2. I am just starting out. I was a sextant wielding navigator for years. Reducing star sights was an hours job. I bought a Psion mini computer and after a year got it to do it. I have been hooked ever since but still can't make stuff work. I guess it's why App folk make money. Fair enough they provide a one click answer.

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your blog and the summaries of the comments but I do always read the comments anyway. I look at blogs as a group of friends getting together and discussing whatever subject is at hand on that day. I enjoy the give and take of everyone whether is is funny, serious or educational. Blogs can be wonderful and the sharing between writer and readers can be equally wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bonnie, you have described the blogging community very well, I think. We do seem to be drawn to certain corners of it.

      Delete
  3. irascible = having or showing a tendency to be easily angered.
    TURN UP THE VOLUME! I AM NOT IRASCIBLE! NO WAY AM I IRASCIBLE! I HAVE NEVER BEEN IRASCIBLE! SO THERE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yokshire Pudding, did I say irascible? I meant irrepressible.

      Delete
  4. Ha yes a belated happy birthday to your grandson.
    Hope you are over the blahs. The sun came out, and that usually makes me feel better...singing tomorrow tomorrow...;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, the blahs have gone with the wind, just like Rhett Butler. We have had rain for days on end and I'm waiting for the sun to come out tomorrow, bet your bottom dollar it's tomorrow.

      Delete
  5. I enjoy all your posts and the comments as well - they inspire me to go back and read the posts I missed and now I'm hungry for a little bowl of soup with a side of baked bean toast! Alas, I must get back to fence-building and garden creating! TTFN!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. H.H. (Pam), thank you! It is always fun, good, a pleasure to hear from you NO MATTER HOW MANY MONTHS HAVE ELAPSED SINCE YOU LAST DROPPED BY (sorry, I'm shouting, I apologize). I hope your new homestead, with or without hilltop, is progressing nicely out there on the Olympia Peninsula or in Port Orchard or Port Townsend or Port Angeles or wherever it was (I forget where) you and the farmer moved to a while back from the little town that must remain nameless (I forget why). Anybody who reads my posts and enjoys them is a stellar individual and okay by me.

      Delete

<b> More random thoughts</b>

As the saying goes, De gustibus non est disputandum unless you prefer De gustibus non disputandum est . Latin purists do. Do what? you a...