Monday, March 23, 2020

That was fun

I'm referring to the last two posts, one about song titles with girls' names and the other about song titles with boys' names. Collectively, we named more than 60 girl songs and 24 boy songs. I'm sure there are more.

It just occurred to me that no one mentioned "Delilah" by Tom Jones or "Wake Up, Little Susie" by The Everly Brothers.

I suppose this could go on and on but we should bring it to a close and move on to another subject.

Before we do, however, reader Graham Edwards in Scotland said that several of Bob Dylan's songs mentioned his name. Bob's name, I mean, not Graham's. I was never a big follower of Bob Dylan since his voice always sounded to me like a cat had got its tail caught in a mop pail wringer, so if "Blowin' In The Wind" didn't contain the name Bob I was oblivious. If any of you know which songs Graham was referring to, please name them in the comments.

Here to help you along is a list, in alphabetic order, of songs written by Bob Dylan.

A close examination of the list will yield several more songs with boys' names and girls' names in the title, also to which I was oblivious.

You can thank me later.

Or not.

(Dylan performing in the De Kuip Stadium, Rotterdam, June 23, 1978. Photo by Chris Haakens used in accordance with CC BY SA 2.0)

Here are two more people from way back when.


9 comments:

  1. Yes, that was a lot of fun. And a temporary distraction from the big world event whose name shall not be spoken.
    I'll now turn my attention to managing my days ahead of the looming lockdown in this city.
    Lockdown. It all sounds like a prison riot and lockdown is our punishment.
    Alphie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Governor Andrew Cuomo of New York said the other day that we shouldn't be saying "shelter in place" either because that applied to mass shootings and tornadoes and nuclear attacks. You're right, Lockdown does sound like a prison.

      Delete
  2. Well, I told you I had a forgettory and not a memory. I obviously got that one wrong. I may (or may not) see if I can find out why I had that though in my mind. I have to say that I don't enjoy Bob Dylan either as a singer but his songs seemed to appear all over the place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, they were, you might say, blowin' in the wind.

      Delete
  3. Well that was a lot easier than I thought. All my old 'popular' CDs are up in the loft but I very quickly (one of my traits is catalogued orderliness in my CDs) found the CD Freewheelin Bob Dylan. Two tracks are Bob Dylan's Blues and Bob Dylan's Dream. Perhaps he called them something else on other albums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, most of my many vinyl albums (I don't have many CDs) have ended up at my music-major son's house, but the few I have left can in no way be described as being in catalogued orderliness.

      Delete
  4. Fun!
    Your description of Dylan's singing cracked me up.
    Who is the woman singing with Tom Jones in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, my young friend (and I can tell you are young by the question you asked, but then who isn't?, young compared to me, I mean), the woman singing with Tom Jones in the picture is none other than -- ta-dah! -- Janis Joplin!

      Delete
  5. Well in my defense, it is a side view of her, but she was a little before my time (or at least before I cared about music ;)

    ReplyDelete

<b>Another boring post, or maybe not</b>

From April 1945 until Joe Biden's first/only (pick one) term as president ends a few months from now, 80 years will have elapsed. D...